As is disturbingly about time passing swiftly, it happens to be thirty years, to the day, since I broke up with Jennifer Strawser. Those who know the narrative understand, that a few fortnights passed, and then Jen was away from the PSU campus forever, Daily Collegian bylines be damned. Rewriting Silly Putty, for the Nineties section of Something Solid, I was able to ascertain that writing about Jennifer didn't have to be about hellfire and damnation. Their could be some lightness of touch, amidst all the class dismemberment and the rest. Over nine years, Silly Putty evolved from, and out of, Old Main, which came out in The Argotist Online in 2017. What you see in The Argotist was eventually employed as the second sonnet (double-sonnet structure) in Silly Putty. I have now excised it completely. Things disappear into each other, become other things. Such is poetry. As for Jennifer and I disappearing into each other, and becoming something else, I answer that with an affirmative. But the shape, form, and manner of what we each turned into, individually and as a composite entity, will always be difficult for me to grasp. Perhaps someone needs to teach me metaphysics all over again. I await the Practicum.

No comments:
Post a Comment