Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Synchronized Chaos: The Vessel


Now that The Painter, from Something Solid, sits in Synchronized Chaos, I thought it might be useful to, in curatorial fashion, display the goods. So, here is the Mary Evelyn Harju piece mentioned in the poem: Self-Portrait: The Vessel. I saw the piece with Melissa at a PAFA show Mary had invited us to in mid-2001. We saw Mary on the wall, a ring of pieces with The Vessel at the center, but failed to see Miss H herself, who it turns out was sequestered somewhere else at the time. Did I fall madly in love with Miss H for having painted The Vessel? Semi. Spanish coloration, bits of earth-tones, and the haunting fragility of the female figure, who slightly less than dominates the center of the composition. Note: it's an image seen in a mirror. The irony for me, nearly a quarter of a century later, is that Miss H proved to be a pretty fulsome entity. Not much hollowed out and/or empty about her. But this is one mood for her, one emotion. As Miss F and I descended the Versailles-like stairs, my own emotions were stirred, singularly. Something was building; something would have to give.   

No comments:

Post a Comment