Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Mary Walker Graham


This picture was taken in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, in 2007. In it, we see casually dressed Mary Evelyn Harju standing up so that I might be allowed to sit next to her again. This being, not incidentally, the back room at Stain Bar, where I was reading that night for Mipoesias. Also in casual red attire, across from Mary H. is Boston poetess Mary Walker Graham. Graham is someone I had done my MFA with in Henniker, NH, in the mid-Aughts, and also dated. Mary Walker Graham is worth mentioning because the poetry she was producing then was raised high above the Amer-Po median average. I was happy to publish her in P.F.S. Post and Ocho #11, and write the critical piece Sex and Shadows about Graham and Stacy Blair.

P.S. Only semi-incidentally, on this night in Brooklyn, Mary Walker Graham submitted the poem Double to me, which was then published in Ocho #11 and later P.F.S. Post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment