Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Where was she?


It's been mentioned that, during the year-long heyday-cum-orgy of the original Philly Free School, Mary H. was mostly missing in action (which Abby was not). Where was she? I have bothered to insinuate, that when Abby and I finally hooked up all the way in early 2005, it was karmically appropriate in relation to Ms. H. This, I still believe to be true; as of early '05, Abby and I both felt betrayed by Mary. The issues around who Mary H was in '04 and '05, and why Abby and I felt betrayed, are delicate ones. Some of it has to do with what was then a newfangled alliance formed between Mary and her family. Her family, who disapproved of her decision to be a painter, and disapproved (of course) of Abby and I. Her family weren't overtly unfriendly to me, in '02 and '03, but the truth emerged in the mid-Aughts. Mary's new hubs guy after me, Abby and I felt, was a cad and a curmudgeon, who also steered her away from painting. And finally, I will have to be inscrutable to once again insinuate something and leave it, out of delicacy, indefinite. To make a few more long stories short, Mary, at the behest of the forces then around her, was willing to fake a bunch of things about herself. Major things, and (suddenly) nose-in-the-air things, too. Was she out of her mind? Abby and I more than half thought so. Sorry to have to leave some of it vague.

As of '06, by which time no one knew what to expect from her, she spun more or less around to where she had been. She'd also added a layer of thinly-submerged upset about my tryst with Abby. Yet she began painting seriously again, and renewed contact with me. Abby, less so. Then, at the end of '06, we began courting again, and we were an item again as of early '07. Yet the demons from the mid-Aughts were constantly hovering around her. I did my best, but it was obvious that the tug of war in her was intense (double Libra....ouch), and my power with her, even as her boyfriend, was limited. That note, of a sense I had of her vacillating constantly, was there for the remainder of the time I knew Mary Evelyn Harju. She was never again as strong as she'd been in the early Aughts. Yet she loved me as much as she could've loved anyone, and the love was reciprocated.   


No comments:

Post a Comment